LSE Library

Publisher Description

The LSE Library (British Library of Political and Economic Science) was founded in 1896 by Beatrice and Sidney Webb, founders of the LSE. It is a Library for the LSE and a resource for social science researchers. It is one of the largest social science Libraries in the world. It moved to its current location – the Lionel Robbins Building – in 1978. This building was redeveloped recently by the architects Foster and Partners and was completed in 2001.

The Library holds over 4 million books and journals. It collects comprehensively in economics and other core social sciences and contains material in the major European languages. Special collections include government publications, the publications of intergovernmental organisations, historical pamphlets, statistics and there is a substantial archive collection. Archives include those of the Fabian Society, the Liberal Party, papers of individual politicians and the Hall Carpenter Archives.

All collections held at LSE in the Library have been recognised for their outstanding national and international importance and awarded 'Designation' status by the Museums Libraries and Archives Council (MLA).

Collaborative, digital library projects include the Charles Booth Online Archive, the Victorian Times project, and other JISC-funded projects for some of the Library's historical pamphlets on social policy and transport.

Pamphlets in JSTOR from LSE Library
1 Pamphlet Collection in JSTOR Copyright Date
LSE Selected Pamphlets 1800 - 1899

10 Portugal St
London WC2A 2HD

Tel. +44(0) 207 9557229
Fax +44(0) 207 9557454